So some young doofus who worked at Google thought it was wise (it wasn’t) to post a 10-page manifesto (who writes long manifestos other than Ted Kaczyinski?) to the company website complaining about the company’s diversity hiring practices. He’s fired now.
He’d do well to read the following. The Left are obsessed with three things; Security, the Great Virtues (Agape, Egalitarianism, Justice) and Agency. Under the heading of Egalitarianism falls the ideas of Equality and Fairness and a subheading under Equality is Equality of Outcomes. Not Equality of Opportunity… Equality of Outcomes.
So the typical Social Justice Warrior modus operandi is as follows;
1) Search for an issue where the outcomes for one group are not the same as for another group (or groups);
2) Label the group enjoying a favorable outcome the Oppressors;
3) Label the groups not enjoying a favorable outcome the Victims;
4) Declare that the Oppressors are enjoying favorable outcomes because of discriminatory practices or societal biases against the Victims. These identified discriminatory practices can be merely alleged and unproven because, in true post-Modernism thinking so long as something is perceived or felt it has truth attached to it.
5) Demand that reverse discriminatory practices be employed to correct the imbalance in outcomes;
6) Never, ever entertain any suggestion that the disparity in outcomes might be the result of Victim behavior or character. Ostracize anyone who suggests as such and label them homophobes, transphobes, racists, sexists, bigots, etc.
7) Never, ever look back over your shoulder and review to see if the reversal of discriminatory practices has worked to actually improve outcomes for the Victims;
8) Return to 1).
So, let’s take the issue of there not being a lot of female computer programmers.
There are way more male programmers than female programmers in Silicon Valley. An unequal outcome.
The males in charge of tech companies in Silicon Valley = the Oppressors
Females (in general) = the Victims
Females don’t get hired as computer programmers because Men (the Patriarchy) are systematically refusing to hire them.
Demand that this practice is reversed and that Men go out of their way to hire more female programmers to right the imbalance.
Scream “Sexist!” at anyone who suggests the problem may in fact be that a) not a lot of women actually go into computer programming or b) it’s not an occupation that women have shown to be particularly great at (with exceptions, of course)… for whatever reason.
Demand that affirmative action and hiring quotas be put in place, but never go back and see if these practices have actually improved the outcomes for female programmers, knowing instead that what it will more likely do is prevent male programmers from getting hired or promoted, which is OK because it’s harming the Oppressors (justice).
And so on. I could do this on any social issue of the day. The formula for faux outrage, labeling, demands or justice and ignorance of results can apply to just about anything.
So young Google guy, James Damore, please learn your lesson. You can’t fight the machine.
Here’s an exercise; Justin Trudeau says there is not enough female representation in federal cabinet. Go through steps 2-8. Enjoy.
Update – here’s the memo.
It’s actually a very reasonable and well thought out article. However, that doesn’t change the fact that writing it and posting it on your company board, when you know you work for a left-leaning company, is not a wise thing to do if you hope to keep your job. Brave. But bravery’s cousin is very often stupidity.